What are the Effects of Alcohol?
The effects of alcohol are varied and progressive with use. Alcohol is a depressant that comes in liquid form and is taken orally. Alcohol is one of the most commonly abused substances in America. Since alcohol use varies person to person, it is often hard to discern if someone is abusing the substance, dependent on the alcohol, or addicted to it.
• 17.6 million Americans are dependent on, or abuse alcohol. That its nearly 1 in every 12 adults.
• 2.5 million deaths in 2011 were blamed on alcohol according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
• Males aged 15-59, are at the most risk for death due to alcohol.
• 1 in 5 alcoholics die while trying to detox on their own.
• Drinking alcohol excessively for years has been linked to pancreatitis, and cancer of the liver, throat, kidneys and rectum.